okładka historia.jpg

History

It has been assumed that the name of the town comes from the Slavonic name of the brook (Biela, bila – white). The first official record of Bielawa dates back to 1288. Those were the times when the long-lasting argument between the Bishop of Wrocław - Tomasz II Zaremba, and Henryk IV Prawy – the prince of Wrocław and Kraków, concerning the conflict between the church and the state, finally ended. Giving up in the argument, the prince issued the bill which gave the beginnings of  St. Cross Church Foundation in Wrocław which was presented by the same bill with 48 huge fields in the village of Biela.



The incident which ensured Bielawa to be mentioned in historical books was the bloody suppression of Weavers’ Revolt in 1844. The event was described by the Nobel Prize winner Gerhart Hauptman. The development of Bielawa was closely related to weaving industry. The beginnings of ths industry in Bielawa date back to the 18th century when the first workshops were established.

The expansion of the factories accompanied by developing building activity in the 19th century caused a significant increase in the number of inhabitants. As the result of that situation, in 1924, Bielawa was granted with town rights.

After World War II Bielawa, like the rest of Lower Silesia, was rejoined to Poland. On the 23rd of June 1945 the first Mayor of Bielawa was appointed. Nowadays Bielawa is a self-contained municipality being a part of District of Dzierżoniów.