zabytki okładka.jpg

Monuments

The Statue of the Owl

      It is situated in the centre of Bielawa in Wolności Square. The statue is situated on a five-meter-high stone column on which shapes of nine people who are holding the owl (the symbol of the town) are sculptured. On its left side the owl is holding the crest of the town. At the foot of the statue there is a stone fountain.

Corpus Christi’s Catholic Church

      Former Evangelical church was built in 1743. At the beginning it was a very simple and meager building with neither tower, bells nor organ. The tower was not built until the 100th anniversary of the church. Because of its bad technical conditions it was renovated between 1878 and 1880. On the outer wall of the church you can see pictures of different animals which were intended to depict psalm 148. Inside your attention should be attracted by the artistic wooden construction of the ceiling and spacious two-level balconies for prayers. In the church there is also organ which was fitted there in 1754.

Holy Spirit’s Catholic Church

      The smallest of the three churches in Bielawa. The construction of the church was started on the 28th of September 1928, and was finished after 14 months. Its designer and builder was a businessman from Bielawa Emil Werler. In its architectural structure it combines the dignity of a temple with modernity of techniques of that time. The church has a small tower with a bell.

The Catholic Church of the Assumption

      The first information about the church comes from 1288. The church was a single-nave building with its front part vaulted. Initially, it had three altars, but by the 17th century only the main altar with the statue of the Mother of God had survived. Because the church was in danger of collapsing, it was demolished in 1866. The ceremonial laying of the foundation stone for the new church, designed by A. Langer from Wrocław, took place on April 14th, 1868, and the construction was finished on November 15th, 1876. The church has three bells which were given the following names: John Paul II, Henry and Francis, and a clock commemorating the Great Jubilee of Christianity. In September the church hosts concerts as part of the Wratislavia Cantans International Festival.

The Sandreckis’ Palace

      Its construction was begun by two brothers Wolf and Heinrich Siedlitz von Shönefeld in 1598 the building in the late Renaissance style with the features of a defense mansion survived in its original form until 1737 when the palace was completely destroyed in the fire. It was reconstructed two years later remaining many of its original characteristics. The massive and characteristic because of the thickness of its walls building appears to be the most valuable architectural monument in Bielawa.

The penitential crosses

      Their Polish name: ‘reconciliation crosses’ comes from the Latin word “compositio”, which means “composition, agreement”. They are monuments to the Medieval law and stone symbols of past tragedies, injustice and needless victims. The crosses were set up as evidence of compensation and reconciliation between two feuding parties. The crosses depict a sword, a knife, an axe or other to ols grooved in the stone which were used to commit the crimes. The majority of the crosses come from the 15^th century. In Bielawa there are two such crosses situated at 27 Waryńskiego Street and AT 130 Wolności Street.

The Millennium Cross on the Wzgórze Pojednania Hill

      Built in 2000. The way to the cross runs along a walking path and passes by the pond popularly called ‘Cegielnia’ (‘Brickyard’). On the hill are benches for resting and enjoying the beautiful natural surroundings of the Bielawa region.

Villas

The Dierig Family Villa, ul. Piastowska 23
      The initial resident of the building was Friedrich Dierig junior, the owner of the “Christian Dierig A.G.” textile manufacturing business. The beautifully renovated building currently houses the Pałac Bielawa hotel.
The Dierig Family Villa, ul. Korczaka 4
      Dr Wolfgang Dierig’s villa, built in 1901. Currently the beautifully renovated villa houses the Dębowy Hotel with restaurant.
Josef Fröhlich’s Villa, ul 3-Maja
     In the 1920s Karl Fröhlich – the owner of the textile manufacturing business located at Webschulstrasse 33 – lived here. Currently the building houses offices of the Municipal Management of Residential Buildings (MZBM).
Wilhelm Mittelstaedt’s Villa,  ul. Korczaka
      The building was erected between 1900 and 1901. From 1903 Wilhelm Mittelstaedt, his wife Kathe Eichhorst and their three children lived in the villa. Now the building is a private property.